New Models Include Four-Way Balanced Sole Design, Increased Vibration Dampening Technology with Refined Contours and Setups
FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Jan. 23, 2018) – The next generation of Scotty Cameron Select putters – introducing new four-way sole balancing technology – continues the evolution of a line engineered for performance, milled to precision and designed with elegance.
Available in golf shops worldwide beginning March 30, the 2018 Select line advances Titleist Master Putter Maker Scotty Cameron’s proven multi-material construction methodology of combining face inlays of either 303 stainless steel or 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum with stainless steel bodies for superior balance, weight distribution, sound and feel.
The new Select line features seven tour-validated modern blade and mid-mallet models. The new Select Laguna joins Scotty’s classic Select Newport, Newport 2 and Newport 2.5 blade styles, while the popular Fastback and Squareback names return in updated mid-mallet offerings. Rounding out the line is the heel-shafted mid-mallet Select Newport 3.
Precise refinements made to the sight, sound and sole components of each Select model deliver key performance benefits:
- SIGHT: Contours and sight cues were refined to enhance alignment opportunities and instill confidence. Scotty focused on thinning topline appearances by giving each a slightly rounder radius. Plumbing neck dimensions, edges and angles have been squared up for a cleaner look from address.
- SOUND: Improved sound and feel are the result of up to 30 percent more vibration dampening material connecting face inlays with putter bodies. The connecting screws are slightly larger to account for the increased material and the surface compression necessary to produce the softer sound, while preserving the feedback demanded by the best players in the world to aid in distance control and diagnosing mishits.
- SOLE: For the first time ever, Scotty has introduced a four-way balanced sole design for a faster setup and easier alignment at address. The balance point of each 2018 Select putter’s sole has been shifted forward to account for the weight of the shaft and grip and their impact related to how the putter sits at address. This results in a putter that sits perfectly square at address to promote easier alignment on virtually any lie.
QUOTING SCOTTY CAMERON: “Everything I’ve learned from refining and redesigning Newport-style putters over the last two decades has gone into this 2018 Select line,” Scotty Cameron said. “I always strive to raise the bar by incorporating new materials, milling and manufacturing techniques. I’m at the point with the Select line of putters that now I’m hyper-focused on the finest details. Tour players pick up on things most people don’t but those details can make a big difference in how a putter performs. We’ve reengineered the sole to account for the shaft and grip weight by actually moving metal in minute increments to help the putter align perfectly. I call it four-way sole balancing because we’ve balanced the putter from face to cavity, and from heel to toe.”
2018 SELECT MODELS & TECHNOLOGY: The 2018 Select line employs three unique setups – incorporating Scotty’s innovative face inlays that wrap around the sole and disappear from the player’s view at address – to complement each putter shape and size:
- New 2018 Select Newport, Newport 2, Newport 2.5 and Laguna models are modern heel-and-toe weighted blades designed to support flowing strokes in several player preferred setups. Each model features a sole-to-topline 303 stainless steel inlay that is precision mid-milled and hand-buffed to a brilliant, metallic finish, then bonded to the stainless steel body using up to 30 percent more high-tech vibration dampening material than previous models. This fusion of materials provides golfers with ultra-responsive feel and feedback at impact.
- New 2018 Select Newport 3 is a heel-shafted mid-mallet, based on the classic Newport head shape, designed with a flow neck (with ¾” offset) for the player who needs additional toe flow in his stroke. Multi-material technology – featuring a precision milled, lightweight 6061 aircraft grade aluminum face inlay fused to the precision-milled 303 stainless steel body – distributes weight for higher MOI performance. A left-handed Newport 3 was also added to the line for 2018.
- New Select Fastback and Squareback mid-mallets combine 6061 aircraft grade aluminum inlays with Scotty’s wrap-around face-sole technology. The face-sole component is a single piece of lightweight aluminum that wraps down and around to create the midsection of the sole. This construction concentrates weight on the perimeter to produce higher MOI and stability for “straight back/straight through” strokes. The lightweight aluminum face-sole is fine tuned for sound and feel through increased vibration dampening material attached to the stainless steel core. Each 2018 Fastback and Squareback putter has been refined with a milled sightline in the flange in lieu of the prior generation pop-through feature.
AVAILABILITY: Select putters will be available on March 30, 2018 worldwide through Titleist authorized golf shops.